Friday, October 2, 2009

Just call me DRAMA QUEEN

It's a good thing I didn't blog this morning. This entry would sound depressing, frustrating, maddening, and hopeless. This is all after only 4 hours of sleep. Ahhhh! When the nurses checked the Xray film, the PICC line WAS STILL POINTING UP! So they had to peel back the tape, pull out the line another 3 cms! Then, ANOTHER XRAY! That makes 4 today. I swear when we get home, we're gonna glow! Then, after our 10 o'clock meds, Tanner was extremely restless and overly tired. "I'm thirsty, I want my gameboy, I'm hungry" MOMMY's DONE! Then he dosed off a bit and I turned on the computer to play a few games. Well, that didn't set too well with the king. He started screaming, "Mommy go to sleep! Mommy go to sleep!" Hospital life...good thing everything's locked up. Then about 4:30 am, the nurse woke me and told me the PICC line had clotted and they had to give some meds to help dissolve it. I also noticed his Oxygen levels were in the mid 80's (last 2 days...mid 90's) and the monitor keep beeping; all night, on and off, loud and soft, open and close door, nurses in and out...you get the picture. But when the respiratory therapist came in, she replaced Tanner's finger monitor and his stats jumped right back up to the mid 90's. See? No sleep and I'm thinking Tanner's made a turn for the worst. I gotta get me some zzzzzz's. The PICC line blockage is gone and is working great. It's in his middle inner elbow and doesn't seem to bother him at all. BUT at 8:00 am, a nurse and later a doctor come in and drop the bomb: "YOU'RE MOVING BACK DOWNSTAIRS" I almost burst out crying right there. Remember one of the earlier posts? Loud noises, moaning kids (still here) stinky bathroom (just dumping room, really) The dungeon? Well, here we are. BUT one good thing, we're in the corner now with curtains all around us AND the window. I can look out and see San Fransisco Bay. And, as our first boy nurse Erik said, we're on "bedrock" so it's the safest place to be! I guess as opposed to fault lines! Gotta look for the good in everything, right?

So right before we moved again, they came in and removed Tanner's left chest tube. That sucker was long! The worst part was the nurse had to squeeze the skin while the doctor tied the stitch. One down, two to go. AND, one step closer to home! Whoo Hoot! The doctor also explained to me that earlier in the week, Tanner's Xray showed 800 ccs of fluid in his lower left side (I always thought xrays were just for bones...kind of cool, huh?) This morning, it was down to 200 ccs. Everything is right on track. AND, the doctor said (after apologizing for having to banish us again to the 6th floor) it's a good sign we are the ones to move...Tanner is the most stable!

And you thought my day was done, right! Well, tricks on you! No way could there be any more DRAMA, right? I swear, it just follows me around! Mark and the kids came today right in time to help us move. So they grabbed all our stuff and rode down in the public elevator to the 6th floor. I went with the 2 nurses, Tanner, and the big medical bed for the service elevators. Well, I didn't get the "down" button pressed fast enough so we ended up stopping on several floors. The doors would open, show us all stuffed in, the nurse would apologize to the people waiting, and then we'd get dirty looks! Amazing how Tanner's cranky mood seemed to effect everyone in the hospital! HeeHee! Anyway, on one of our stops, the doors open and we see 2 deputies holding a man dressed in an orange jumpsuit and leg and arm handcuffs! Something I didn't need to see today! The doors shut and we all just shook our heads. Never know what you're going to see in San Fransisco.

So when Mark and the kids come to visit, I run and take my shower and then the older kids and I run down to the cafeteria for lunch. They think it's the biggest treat ever. So I run down to the shower...turn it extra hot cuz I'm extra stinky (!) Just as I finished de-stinkying myself, I turned off the water...and realized I DIDN'T GRAB ANY TOWELS!!! The linen closet is out in the hall and around the corner. As the steam of my hot shower evaporated around me, I seriously considered opening the door and calling for anyone to help. Decided against this, because as you all know, I'm very modest (Biggest line of BS I've got today! HeeHee) So I grabbed my old sweatshirt, yes the stinky one, laid it on the floor and proceeded to dry myself off with 3X6 inch square paper towels. Those suckers were scratchy, but sure were absorbent! A little extra exfoliating is good for the skin!

Well, enough adventures for us today. Tanner is finally napping...and maybe I should to. My mom is coming to watch the kids on Saturday so Mark can come see us for more than 2 hours. Tanner cried when he left today...me too. This is the longest we've ever been apart. So I am really looking forward to tomorrow. And he can be here to help remind me to grab towels for the shower.

2 comments:

  1. You are soo strong and it has passed to Tanner! Bunch if troopers you both are! Im soo happy to hear your close to coming home! I miss you and cant wait to see you! Im sure you cant wait to see your BED!! Lots of love and hugs to you both! Congrats on the fluid going down 600cc! That is awesome news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah! lol! lmao! about the towels! are you nice and smoothe now ;0) heeheheh

    ReplyDelete