Monday, October 26, 2009

Sneaky Mommy AND ... wait for it... good news?

Ahhhh...been missing the blog. After our "double procedure" day on Thursday, Friday morning came none too quick. Movin' on! They came and pulled out the last chest tube...but he still has the "pigtail" in his side. Mark and I were doing dances and singing crazy to distract Tanner, but he's smart enough to know what's going on AND SCREAMS OUT HIS LUNGS! I guess its good exercises, right? And the nurses don't seem to mind...so be it.

About noon on Friday, I SNUCK home. After the shocking news that we could be here another 2-3 weeks...I bombarded Mark with the news of a much needed Mommy break time. Even the nurses were practically pushing me out the door. Poor guy, I kind of sprung it on him...he was left with only a change of underware and hot jeans for 2 days! But he was a good sport about it as I left him in my dust! Tanner actually gave me a kiss goodbye...but did spend the weekend asking for me. BUT it was great BOY bonding time. I was practically hyperventilating walking through the parking garage and it was so overwhelming to see the familiar car...smells, kids car seats, garage opener...and it's true about "riding a bicycle"...I hadn't driven a car in 4 weeks but it was all natural until the phone rang and I almost answered it! Oops! Had to remind myself to keep my eyes on the road! I got home in time to pick up the kids from school and they were SO SURPRISED! We spent the next hour snuggling on the couch, had spaghetti for dinner, and then took Mackenzie to basketball practice. It felt really weird being home...it actually felt horrible being without Tanner and Mark...yuck! But it was WONDERFUL seeing, hugging, kissing, feeling, and EVERYTHING else with Mackenzie, Callahan, and Courtney. Mark has done AMAZING keeping the house and kids on schedule. Although, he can't believe I can wake up at 7:30 and have everyone ready and out the door for school at 8:15...and don't get me started on Courtney's hair! But the kids are handling all this so well...we are just SOOOO proud of them! Friday night I slept 12 hours...and Saturday night 10. I still don't feel quite recharged...but that time will come.

Mark did wonderful with Tanner. He had him out of bed, in the wagon, and sitting at the window most of Saturday and Sunday. They had lots of issues with IV's (why do these ALWAYS happen at night?) Tanner must have been poked with new IV's at least 6 times. They didn't work for very long because they were giving Tanner antibiotics and it is VERY rough on little veins. Mark also spoiled him with Easy Mac and Daddy noodles (top ramen), not exactly low in fat, but I think it jump-started Tanner's appetite. They also had to "flush" the "pigtail" each evening because the chylus is so thick and the tube is so small and thin that any pinch "stops" it up. They've taped Popsicle sticks to it...so it won't twist...what crazy things they come up with!

On Sunday, the kids and I went to Trader Joe's to shop for some low-fat snack options for Tanner at the hospital. We had fun finding cereal, popcorn, and lollipops! I had decided that we would come back to UCSF Sunday so Mackenzie, Callahan, and Courtney could spend a little time Tanner...he always perks up after their visits. The drive was beautiful and we saw lots of sailboats as we went over the Bay Bridge. Tanner was SO HAPPY to see us! Mark had to explain the new tricks to taking medication...and wanted to make sure I KEPT HIM UP AND MOVING! Tanner was actually VERY disappointed to get back into bed...but it was time for vitals and dinner. The pigtail hadn't drained much that afternoon, so once again they flushed the tube and another 70cc came out...quite a bit. The night was rough because Tanner had an IV that was very sore and I think after all the IV drama over the weekend...it really freaked him out! So he would scream each time a nurse came near the bed. I spent most of the night ssshhhhh and telling him it was okay!

Monday morning brought no drainage. Once again, this time Julie (our nurse practitioner) came with the water syringes to flush the tube but got nothing out! Disappointed, she sent for a chest xray BUT WHEN SHE REVIEWED IT...THERE WAS NO FLUID TO FLUSH OUT! It's the best xray Tanner has EVER TAKEN! Julie called me into the hallway to show it to me...you could see the drain tube curled up...and we all started crying! Even the nurses! BUT given Tanner's history, we are all joyful...but cautious. One day at a time here. Mark and I were a little hesitant about sharing our EXCITING news...but even if more fluid comes tomorrow, we still got that BEST XRAY! ITS POSSIBLE! Tanner will do it! Even the surgeon, Petros, came walking in the room this afternoon saying, "You know, I always come and give you bad news. But this time...that is the best xray I have seen Tanner take yet. We owe you this good news!" I actually jumped out of my chair and hugged him! And everytime I walked down the hallway...everyone had heard the news and we all did little happy dances. Now we know TANNER CAN DO IT! I actually give Mark all the credit for keeping Tanner moving this weekend.

We kept moving today after the FABULOUS news. Tanner actually WALKED all around the step-down unit, to the elevators, and down and around the 6th floor TWO TIMES! AND he ate a full roast beef sandwich, beef jerky (from Trader Joe's), rice, soup, chicken, and 3 lollipops all today. The nurse also took out that really sore IV so of course, I'm hoping for an easy night. Our luck has just got to be changing!

2 comments:

  1. Great update......let's get you guys home!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippie! Great blog Christina. Keep up the high spirits and get our Tanner boy walking! Big hugs and kisses from Auntie T & Unc Brad

    ReplyDelete